Sunday, November 27, 2016

Rebellion

Rebellion. I hadn't realized the intricacies of this concept until only recently. The definition states that it is "showing a desire to resist authority, control, or convention". I have come to realize just how dependent rebellion is on its surroundings. 

The reason that I have even started thinking about this has to do with a lot of my personal choices being put to test. Basically, my mother does not seem to approve.

She doesn't approve if my way of doing my makeup.  I've taken to doing cast eye eyeliner. I love the impact it has on the shape.

She doesn't approve of my hair, which I only found out today. I can't handle long hair. It makes my face feel blocky and much to warm. In fact, I am very happy with my current style. I have had short hair for years now, and I truly feel as though I have been able to fine tune it to something wonderful. To something that empowers me. 

She doesn't approve of my views on religion. In fact, we had a large fight about this a while ago. She makes my sister and I go with her to church, even though she promised she wouldn't. 

Family places so many expectations on us, many of them unrealistic and harmful. And if anyone doesn't fit precisely into that box that they try to set around them, they are viewed as rebellious. Angry. Disrespectful.

But I am not rebellious. I just am wishing to be myself and pave my own path. I am not meant to fit in a box. I am meant to shape myself as I am meant to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment